Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Canned salmon is scary stuff, so this recipe uses the pouch kind: no bones, no skin, no nightmares. And YUM! This recipe makes 4 conservative portions or 2 "man-sized" portions
- 1 (15 ounce) package pink salmon
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄3 cup egg white, plus
- 1 tablespoon egg white
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- safflower oil (for frying)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- In lg skillet, heat butter over med-high heat, & sauté onion & garlic powder.
- Add salmon, season w/ salt, pepper & dill, & heat through. If still whole, flake apart salmon with fork.
- Add flour & stir well.
- Add milk gradually, stirring constantly until mixture thickens---you might not use all the milk).
- Remove mixture to plate & allow to cool completely (or you can refrigerate).
- Form into ovals, about 2" wide and 3"long, no more than 3/4" thick. Dip in egg whites & dredge in bread crumbs.
- Pour oil into frying pan (about 1/2" deep). Place croquettes in hot oil until browned, turning to brown both sides easily.
- Drain on paper towels & serve.