Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you enjoy salmon, this dish is easy to prepare if you are running short on time. Served with a tasty cheese sauce.
- 1 (7 ounce) can red salmon, drained
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup shredded process American cheese
- 1 (2 ounce) jardiced pimientos
- Remove skin and bones from salmon; flake and set aside.
- Combine eggs and next 5 ingredients in a bowl; beat at medium speed in electric mixer until foamy.
- Stir in salmon and corn.
- Spoon 1/4 cup salmon mixture for each cake onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or skillet.
- Cook 3 minutes on each side, or until golden.
- Set cakes aside, and keep warm.
- Combine sour cream, cheese, and pimiento in small sauce pan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thoroughly heated.
- Spoon sauce over cakes and serve.
A few comments/suggestions -- I doubled the recipe, with exception of the corn, and used a pint of my mother's home-canned salmon. Upon doing this it was still too runny so I added about 1/2 cup of crushed Saltines to thicken the mixture -- this did the trick. Regarding the sauce, I didn't have any pimentos in the kitchen so I spiced it up with horseradish, a pinch of dill weed, and a few drops of Garlic Tabasco sauce. A good recipe -- but it does need crackers or bread crumbs to bind it together.