Recipe by twissis
DH & I were the lucky recipients of a lrg amt of fresh salmon recently. 18 lbs went to be smoked & the rest is in our freezer, so I've been on a mission to expand my salmon horizons. The Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute has been my best source & they didn't disappoint me w/this truly special potato salad that ranks right behind "my mama's best" for me. They described it as a side-dish, but I've used it more as a hearty 1-dish salad meal & just served it w/crusty bread & a variety of veggie/salad items at its side (sliced tomato & cucumber, olives, hard-boiled eggs, etc). Times were estimated & do not include time spent cooking the potatoes. This is a must try! Enjoy! (Edited to Add: To halve this recipe, use 1/2 can salmon & the rest of the ingredients halve easily. Then w/the unused canned salmon, make salmon patties to accompany the salad.)
Top Review by sheepdoc
This was awesome! I had 1/2 a piece of grilled salmon left over and a smallish leftover baked potato so I kind of guessed at the amounts for the rest of the ingredients to make salad for one. Made for CQ 14.
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can salmon (drained & flaked)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup red onion (diced)
- 1⁄3 cup celery (diced)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes (cooked & quartered with skin left on)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put mayonnaise, cilantro, garlic, onion & celery in a lrg mixing bowl & combine well.
- Add salmon & potatoes & gently mix all ingredients together to coat. Taste & add salt & pepper to suit individual pref.
- Chill for 1-3 hrs for best results. Garnish w/fresh cilantro & serve.
- NOTE: # of servings & serving size will depend on whether you use it as a side dish or 1-dish meal.