Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Holy Grail of Salmon Chowder!
- 1 slice bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded, cored and diced
- 1⁄2 medium fennel bulb, white part only, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 medium leek, white part only, diced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups clam juice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) package corn kernels, frozen
- 1 3⁄4 lbs fresh salmon, grilled (seasoned, I use Chef Paul Prudhomme's salmon seasoning)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- While salmon is grilling, start cooking the vegetables and other ingredients.
- In a heavy, saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat until just beginning to brown. Stir in the onion, red pepper and fennel and saute, stirring constantly until the onion is transparent, 5-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, leek, carrot and potato and continue to saute for 3 more minutes. Add the clam juice and chicken broth, bring to simmer and cook until the potatoes and carrots are barely tender, about 25 minutes. Stir in the cream and bring to a slow boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- In a small, heavy skillet, combine the butter and flour over medium heat. Stir with a small whisk over medium heat until the roux is smooth and smells toasty, about 3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture into the roux until smooth. Add this back to the chowder, stirring to combine. Simmer the soup for 10 minutes. Stir in the corn, salmon, thyme and oregano and heat to warm. Taste, adjust seasonings to taste. Fresh basil leaves julienned for garnish.
This chowder was great! It could be used for any seafood or mixture of seafood. I used only 1 cup of clam juice and added a pinch of cayenne. I also used two pieces of bacon but will probably try four next time, removing resulting grease. Thanks a lot Kal! I will be deleting all my other seafood chowder recipes.