Recipe by Gigi
This chowder is hearty and delicious, a wonderful treat for cold winter evenings.
Top Review by pgkeck
Excellent thick & creamy chowder! I did alter the recipe a little. I fried 3 slices of bacon & used the bacon fat & a TB of butter to saute the onions,celery & 1 clove of garlic while the lge sauce pan boiled the potatoes & carrots. I drained & saved the potato water & added all the vegetables together in the saucepan. I added 1 cup of potato water back in w/the 2 cups of chicken broth & let the vegetables simmer together. I had 2 leftover halibut steaks that I added to the small can of salmon & tore into small pieces & also crumbled the 3 bacon slices. Served w/sour dough bread & fruit. Very filling & oh,so good! Thanks,Gigi! And,thanks to Arctic Mama for serving it to her Hoosier family!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups low-sodium chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 (16 ounce) can salmon, skin and bones removed
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 3⁄4 cup shredded American cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Saute onion, celery, and garlic powder until onions are tender.
- Stir in potatoes, carrots, broth, salt, pepper, and dill.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in salmon, evaporated milk, corn, and cheese.
- Cook on low heat until heated through and cheese melts.