Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Easy low calorie Salmon Chowder.
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups fish stock or 2 cups clam juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small red potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lb fresh salmon, skinned and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 pinch saffron (optional)
- Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Drain all but 1 Tbsp of fat.
- Cook leeks and garlic in remaining fat, about 5 minutes until leeks are soft.
- Stir in dill, salt, pepper, potatoes, and fish stock. (optional, add pinch of saffron at this time) Cook uncovered until potates are tender but not done, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add milk and salmon and cook for 5 minutes.
- Scoop out 2 cups of soup and puree in mini processor. Return to chowder, add corn, and cook another 5 minutes until Salmon is done.