Recipe by Debbie R.
We LOVE this recipe, even DH, who hates fish. It's from "Favorite Recipes from Quilters." Prep time approximate.
Top Review by karencooks
Great casserole, easy to make with basic pantry ingredients. I did use a little less pasta as I was using up an open box, used a can of Red Salmon and added cracked black pepper to sauce. I am always looking for casseroles that do not use canned soup as I prefer to make homemade sauce. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
- 473.18 ml uncooked macaroni (wholewheat rotini is fantastic)
- 411.06 g canned salmon
- 473.18 ml shredded monterey jack cheese
- 29.58 ml butter
- 59.14 ml minced onion
- 14.79 ml flour
- 236.59 ml low-fat milk
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 14.79 ml finely chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni.
- Drain salmon; break it into bite-size pieces.
- Make Sauce: Melt butter. Saute onion until transparent. Blend in flour, stirring constantly. Slowly stir milk into saucepan mixture. Cook until smooth and thick, stirring constantly. Add lemon juice and parsley. Mix well.
- Spoon pasta into sprayed casserole dish. Put salmon on top. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese. Pour sauce over it, and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 25 min or until hot and lightly browned.
- NOTE: This doesn't make for a lot of sauce. To keep original proportions, double the butter, onion, flour, milk, lemon juice and parsley.