Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
We LOVE this recipe, even DH, who hates fish. It's from "Favorite Recipes from Quilters." Prep time approximate.
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni (wholewheat rotini is fantastic)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces canned salmon
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Cook macaroni.
- Drain salmon; break it into bite-size pieces.
- Make Sauce: Melt butter. Saute onion until transparent. Blend in flour, stirring constantly. Slowly stir milk into saucepan mixture. Cook until smooth and thick, stirring constantly. Add lemon juice and parsley. Mix well.
- Spoon pasta into sprayed casserole dish. Put salmon on top. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese. Pour sauce over it, and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 25 min or until hot and lightly browned.
- NOTE: This doesn't make for a lot of sauce. To keep original proportions, double the butter, onion, flour, milk, lemon juice and parsley.
Great casserole, easy to make with basic pantry ingredients. I did use a little less pasta as I was using up an open box, used a can of Red Salmon and added cracked black pepper to sauce. I am always looking for casseroles that do not use canned soup as I prefer to make homemade sauce. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Instead of parsley I added 1/2 teaspoon dried dill. And in place of canned salmon I cooked two frozen salmon fillets, then broke into bite sized pieces. A little less fusilli pasta, same amount of other sauce ingredients, and perfect supper for two.
Wonderful recipe. Added fresh sauteed mushrooms. Yes need to make extra sauce with added mushrooms. Used Old cheddar on top and mozzarella on noodles. Could have mashed salmon so that the sauce mixed better as some family do not like salmon. used a whole onion - 1 cup. Made 6 servings. Will make and freeze in portions.