Recipe by Laureen in B.C.
This is a Fantastic recipe I got from Epicurious, with a couple of minor change from the original . I've have made this many times in the last year and have had rave reviews from my guests. To save time you can buy pre-made crepes
Top Review by hepcat1
I'm not going to give this stars because I used store-bought crepes and it may have affected the overall outcome. We really enjoyed it, though, and the sauce was great! It was very easy to prepare. Next time I'm going to try it without the shallots, add mushrooms and sprinkle freshly chopped tarragon over all. Definitely a dish worth trying!
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs salmon, fillet. cut into 6 portions
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend together eggs, water and flour in small bowl until smooth. Stir in tarragon.
- Lightly brush a 10-inch nonstick skillet with melted butter and heat over Moderate heat until hot but nor smoking. ladle about 1/4 cup batter into skillet, tilting and rotating skillet to coat bottom, then pour excess batter back into bowl. Cook until just est and underside is lightly browned, about 30 seconds, then invert crepe onto clean kitchen towel in one layer and cool. Make 5 more with remaining batter in the same manner.
- Lemon Sauce:.
- Melt butter in 2 quart heavy saucepan over low heat. Add flour and cook, whisking, 2 minutes. add chicken broth in slow stream,whisking,then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer whisking occasionally,about 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, zest pepper and cream, then remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 425°F Butter a 13x9" baking dish and spread with half of the sauce.
- Stir together butter, shallots, salt and pepper and spread about 2 tsp on top of each fillet.
- Put crepe on a work surface, then place 1 salmon fillet, butter side down, in the center of the crepe and fold it around the salmon, leaving ends open. Transfer to baking dish, arrange seam side down, in sauce . Make 5 more in the same way. Spoon remaining saucr over and bake 15 -20 minutes or until cooked and sauce is bubbling.
- This recipe can be made 1 day in advance and refrigerated until ready to bake.
- I have also assembled the crepe and salmon and then frozen them at this point. then all I have to do is make the sauce Thaw the salmon crepe and bake.