This recipe makes about 7-8 salmon cakes, so you might want to double the recipe and the aioli as well. If you are serving these as a brunch to guests, then serve the salmon cakes on a platter lined with mixed greens and drizzled with the aioli on top or on the side, or just serve them on a plate...which ever way you choose to serve them they are delicious!
- 2 cups salmon, cooked (can use canned or fresh cooked salmon, I like leftover cooked cold salmon!)
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 -3 green onions, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- salt (to taste) or seasoning salt (to taste)
- lemon pepper (to taste or use fresh ground black pepper)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream, unwhipped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 -2 minced fresh garlic clove (or to taste)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a bowl combine the salmon, dry breadcrumbs, green onions, celery, mayo, cayenne, dill, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and egg; mix well to combine.
- Season with salt and lemon pepper or black pepper to taste.
- Shape into 7 or 8 salmon cakes.
- Melt the butter with the oil in a heavy skillet.
- Brown salmon cakes on both sides (about 5 minutes per side).
- Place on a dish or a serving platter lined with mixed greens.
- To make the lemon aioli: mix all ingredients together.
- Serve on or with the salmon cakes.