Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
By FN chef Ellie Krieger published in the USA Weekend magazine. This recipe relies, pretty much, on pantry ingredients. If I did not have fresh ginger for the sauce, I would mix mayonnaise with Thai chili sauce or sriracha.
- 6 slice whole wheat sandwich bread
- 2 (850.48 g) can salmon, drained and picked over for skin and bones
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 5 scallions
- 118.29 ml canned water chestnut, finely chopped
- 59.14 ml finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 14.78 ml olive oil
- 88.74 ml greek-style plain fat-free yogurt
- 29.58 ml mayonnaise
- 22.18 ml grated fresh ginger
- 4.92 ml toasted sesame oil
- 4.92 ml low sodium soy sauce
- Remove the crusts from the bread tear into pieces and process in a food processor until you get fine bread crumbs. (I just put in a bowl and processed with my hand blender, worked just fine). You will have about 3 cups of soft crumbs.
- In a large bowl, flake apart the salmon with a fork. Add the eggs and mix well.
- Finely chop 4 of the scallions (white and green parts) and add to the bowl.
- Add the water chestnuts, cilantro pepper and the bread crumbs and mix well.
- Shape into 12 patties.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat 1 1 2 tsp of the oil over medium heat. Add 6 patties and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
- Repeat with remaining oil and salmon patties.
- Sauce: if you do not have Greek-style yogurt, use 1/2 cup regular non-fat yogurt but drain it in a coffee filter for 30 minutes.
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Serve the patties with the sauce on the side, and garnished with the remaining chopped scallion.
Very tasty salmon cakes. I really liked the sauce, for personal taste, I may add a little bit more sesame oil but it is good as is. Thanks duonyte for a new take on salmon cakes. Made for Rookie Recipe Tag Game.
These are very good salmon cakes with a truly unique sauce! Love the sauce and can imagine using it on other things. My salmon cakes stayed together nicely and were crisp on the outside and moist on the inside. I'll reduce the scallions next time, or use smaller ones...mine were pretty large.Thanks for sharing! Made for Newest Tag! Re-rating to get the stars to stick!