Recipe by Aunt Willie
From QED Cooks S is for Seafood on WQED Pittsburgh.
Top Review by Smpl Plzurs
The salmon patties were good as well as the sauce. The only thing I would do different is add a few additional spices to the sauce maybe some salt and pepper but other than that this was a great recipe. Thanks
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can salmon, skin and bones removed (reserve liquid)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (for coating cakes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup reserved salmon liquid (add milk to make it 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
Directions See How It's Made
- Flake salmon so no large lumps remain.
- Add egg, mayo, salt, pepper, dill and breadcrumbs. Mix well.
- Form into four cakes. Coat with additional breadcrumbs.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt 1 Tbsp of butter. Add olive oil.
- Fry cakes in skillet until golden on both sides -- about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove cakes and to the pan, add 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp flour. Cook, stirring, until the roux is bubbly.
- Slowly add the milk/salmon juice, stirring all the while.
- Simmer 3 minutes, adding dill during last minute of cooking.
- Serve over fish cakes.