Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From an Australian website.
FOR SALMON CAKES
- 500 g desiree potatoes
- 700 g salmon fillets
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 tablespoons coriander, coarsely chopped fresh leaves
- 3 green onions, sliced finely (green shallots)
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 10 g fresh ginger, grated finely (2cm piece)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, finely grated
- 2 cups coarse fresh breadcrumbs (140g)
- 3⁄4 cup plain flour (110g)
- 1 egg, beaten lightly (extra)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- olive oil (for shallow-frying)
FOR CHILLI SALT CHIPS
- 1 kg russet burbank potato
- peanut oil, for deep-frying
- 2 teaspoons dried shallots
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon salt or 1 tablespoon flaked sea salt
- Boil or steam potatoes until tender, drain; mash in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Bring 2 cups (500ml) of water to the boil in a medium frying pan. Add the salmon, simmer, uncovered, until salmon is partially cooked through. Drain; cool. Flake salmon.
- Chilli salt chips - Meanwhile, peel potatoes and cut lengthways into 1cm slices; cut each slice lengthways into 1cm-wide pieces.
- Rinse under cold water and pat dry with a tea towel. Chips must be thoroughly dry before frying. Heat oil in a deep-fryer, wok or large saucepan.
- Cook chips, in batches, for about 4 minutes or until tender but not brown. Drain on paper; stand for 10 minutes.
- With a pestle and mortar, pound shallots and chilli flakes until coarsely crushed, stir in sea salt.
- Combine mashed potato, salmon, garlic, coriander, onion, egg, ginger, rind, salt and 1/2 cup (35g) of the breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Shape mixture into 12 patties.
- Flour patties, dip into combined extra egg and milk, then press on breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil in large non-stick pan. Shallow-fry the patties, in batches, until browned on both sides and just cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper; cover with foil, keep warm.
- Reheat peanut oil; cook chips, in batches, until crisp and golden. Drain on absorbent paper. Sprinkle with chilli salt mixture.
- Serve salmon cakes with chilli salt chips, lime wedges and extra coriander.