1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 35 mins
Chef Gardoani's Note:
This recipe is taken from "Dutch Oven Cooking" by John G. Ragsdale with only a few little tweeks of my own. It's great to take out on a pack trip. Just in case you don't catch anything fresh.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup short-grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups water, spring water if you have it
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup salad dressing, I like to use a Miso-Vinegerette
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can salmon, drained and crumbled
- 1 (6 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped. You can also use dried chestnuts if you have them. Prepare them ahead of time
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1Preheat a 12" dutch oven to about 375 degrees. This is done over a light bed of coals with the lid loaded moderately, but evenly.
- 2Place the water In another pot and bring to a boil. Lower the heat. Add the rice, cooking oil, and salt. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
- 3Mix the cooked rice, salad dressing, mustard, and cheese.
- 4Press this mixture into the bottom and sides of a well oiled 9" pie pan.
- 5Bake the crust in the dutch oven for 10 minutes. Be sure to place the pie pan on a trivet to allow the air to circulate and prevent burning on the bottom.
- 6Remove the pie pan and set aside.
- 7Make an even layer of the salmon in the pie crust.
- 8Sprinkle the chopped water chestnuts and broccoli over the top of the salmon.
- 9Wisk the eggs and milk together and pour over the top.
- 10Place the pie pan bake in the oven.
- 11Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
- 12Remove and let cool for 15 minutes.
- 13Slice and serve.
Browse Our Top Pacific Northwest Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salmon-Broccoli Pie
Serving Size: 1 (192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 344.3
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 137.9 mg
- Sodium 403.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 25.4 g