Salmon Braised With Fennel and Apple
- Season the flour with salt and pepper, and dredge the salmon steaks on both sides, patting off any excess flour mixture.
- In a deep skillet, heat half the olive oil until bubbling. Brown salmon pieces on both sides over high heat. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the onion and the remaining oil to the pan, and cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the apple slices, sugar and fennel. Cook until lightly browned, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the broth and cider; heat to a simmer.
- Return the salmon to the pan along with any juices that have collected on the plate. Cover and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, until the salmon flakes when lightly pressed.
- Lift the fish from the pan with a slotted spatula and place on a platter. Surround with the apples and fennel.
- If the liquid in the pan is too thin, reduce for several minutes to thicken. Add the lemon juice and pour over the fish.