Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Andrew Schloss of the Philadelphia Jewish Exponent. This recipe is parve.
Make and share this Salmon Braised With Fennel and Apple recipe from Food.com.
- flour (for dredging)
- salt and pepper
- 4 salmon steaks, about 3/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large granny smith apples or 1 large winesap apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 ribs fennel, thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Season the flour with salt and pepper, and dredge the salmon steaks on both sides, patting off any excess flour mixture.
- In a deep skillet, heat half the olive oil until bubbling. Brown salmon pieces on both sides over high heat. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the onion and the remaining oil to the pan, and cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the apple slices, sugar and fennel. Cook until lightly browned, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the broth and cider; heat to a simmer.
- Return the salmon to the pan along with any juices that have collected on the plate. Cover and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, until the salmon flakes when lightly pressed.
- Lift the fish from the pan with a slotted spatula and place on a platter. Surround with the apples and fennel.
- If the liquid in the pan is too thin, reduce for several minutes to thicken. Add the lemon juice and pour over the fish.