Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
From The Great Big Burger Book. Bobotie is traditionally made with meat. This is a salmon interpretation.
- 1 lb salmon fillet, skin and bones remove then cut into small chunks
- 1 cup finely diced crustless white bread or 1 cup semolina bread
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 2 tablespoons fruit chutney
- Add salmon to a food processor; grind to a fine consistency; place salmon in a bowl and refrigerate.
- In a small bowl, soak the bread in the milk for a few minutes, mashing it several times with a fork.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over med-high heat.
- Add in the onion; lower heat to medium, cook 1 minute or until translucent.
- Add in the curry powder; cook about 30 seconds, until the curry is fragrant and combine with the onion.
- Remove pan from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground salmon, soaked bread, egg, turmeric, almonds, currants, and chutney.
- Add in the onion mixture; mix well.
- Using wet hands, form into 6 patties (each should be about ¾ inch thick).
- Heat ½ tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet.
- Add 3 patties and pan-fry 3-5 minutes per side or just until cooked through.
- Repeat with the remaining patties.
- Serve on lightly toasted white bread or brioche; top with extra chutney and lettuce leaves.