Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Matt's At The Market, Seattle, WA. Very good.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons vietnamese chili paste (aka sambel olek or may substitute spicy Thai chili sauce)
Seasoned Cornmeal Crust Mixture
- 1⁄4 cup white cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 salmon fillets, skin removed (each fillet should weigh about 6 ounces)
- fresh ground pepper
- olive oil
- 8 slices potato bread
- fresh arugula
- 12 slices fresh tomatoes
- 12 slices bacon, fried crisp and drained
- To make the spicy mayonnaise: combine ingredients until well blended; refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the seasoned cornmeal crust mixture: add ingredients to the container of a food processor; blend well.
- Transfer mixture to a wide bowl or pie plate; set aside.
- To make the sandwiches: season the salmon with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the fillets in the seasoned cornmeal crust mixture and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Heat the oil to a low smoke; add the salmon fillets and fry them, turning once.
- Cooking time depends on the thickness of the fillets and the desired degree of doneness; do not over cook the salmon.
- Spread each slice of potato bread with the spicy mayonnaise on one side.
- On 4 slices of bread, place arugula leaves to cover, add 3 slices of tomato and 3 slices of bacon to each.
- Add the fried salmon fillet and cover with remaining slices of bread.
- Slice the sandwich in half and serve immediately.