Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I actually prefer canned salmon to fresh!! I like barley and it works well with the salmon and vinegar. This can be served cold as well. Try it on a picnic instead of potato salad.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery, , finely chopped
- 2 (6 ounce) cans salmon, drained
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄4 cup rice, wine or balsamic vinegar
- cilantro or parsley, minced and as much as desired
- pepper, as much as desired
- Heat oil in a 6 quart oven proof casserole.
- Add onion, carrot and celery.
- Saute 2-3 minutes , stirring constantly.
- Add salmon and break up with a fork.
- Add barley, vinegar, cilantro, pepper and 2 cups water.
- Bring to a simmer then place in 350 oven and bake 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir before serving.
This was delish! I used home-smoked canned salmon and the milder rice vinegar ~ num, num, num. Even people who don't eat 'that kinda stuff' were eating 'that kinda stuff'. :)
Hey Tebo, thanks for a great recipe. This oughta keep me going right through the week. Tastes pretty good made as specified, but the flavour improved out of sight when I added just a dash of salt.