Recipe by Kathy228
No corn, no chicken broth. This salmon chowder is a bit different. Even picky eaters and kids like it. Found this recipe on the internet.
Top Review by Bev
We loved this chowder! It is full of flavor and lovely color. I made as directed, using milk. The clam juice adds so much of the flavor to this wonderful chowder. Thank you for sharing this recipe, Kathy!
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 6 small red potatoes, unpeeled
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups light cream
- 1 cup water
- 1 green peppers or 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 lb salmon, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried dill (optional) or 1 teaspoon fresh dill (optional)
- cooked white rice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put bacon in a soup pot and heat over low heat.
- Add the onion, celery, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Cook until veggies are soft (10 mins).
- Add clam juice.
- Dice potatoes and add to the soup pot.
- Simmer until potatoes are just tender (10 mins).
- Add milk, peppers, salmon, dill, and cook until salmon is just cooked through (8 mins).
- Remove bay leaf.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Serve with cooked rice and a crusty bread.