Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
A elegantly beautiful presentation coupled with a delicious flavor from days gone by. From the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Institute of Chicago, 1947. May be prepared the day before the event. Chilling time not included in the preparation time.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice (from fresh lemons)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons green peppers, finely minced
- 1 lb salmon, poached, skin and bones removed
- 2 eggs, hard cooked, peeled and cut into quarters
- 6 stuffed olives, cut into halves
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- sliced cucumber, lemons, and radishes (for garnish)
- Sprinkle gelatin in the cold water and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add boiling water and stir until the gelatin dissolves.
- Add lemon juice, salt and sugar.
- Lightly spray a gelatin mold with cooking spray and pour a portion of the gelatin in the bottom of the mold; set in the frig to congeal.
- When firm, place salmon evenly in the mold, leaving a small space between the salmon and the outer edge.
- Arrange hard cooked eggs and the vegetables artistically around the salmon.
- Add remaining gelatin to cover and chill in frig until firm.
- Unmold onto a platter lined with salad greens and garnish as desired.
- Cut into slices for serving.