Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1 1⁄4 lbs fresh skinless salmon fillet or 1 1⁄4 lbs frozen skinless salmon fillet
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄2 cup salad dressing
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded lemons, rind of
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 24 slices very thinly sliced or thinly sliced firm-textured white bread, crust removed
- 2 cups loosely packed watercress, tops rinsed and dried (thick stems)
- sliced pimento stuffed olive (optional)
- Thaw fish, if frozen.
- Measure thickness of fish fillets.
- Add 1 1/2 cups water to a large skillet.
- Bring to boiling.
- Add fish fillets.
- Return to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, about 4 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness, or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- With slotted spatula, lift salmon to a plate lined with several thicknesses of white paper toweling.
- Allow salmon to cool for 15 minutes.
- Remove paper toweling; cover salmon with plastic wrap and chill thoroughly.
- Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, onion, capers, lemon peel and salt; set aside.
- Remove any dark flesh from chilled salmon.
- Flake salmon and add to the mayonnaise mixture; stir with a fork to combine.
- Spread each slice of bread with some of the salmon salad.
- Top half of the slices with watercress.
- Add remaining slices of bread, spread-side down.
- Cut sandwiches in quarters to form squares, rectangles, and/or triangles.
- If desired, top each piece with an olive slice and a decorative pick.