Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A very spicy tart with the tangy tomato flavour that makes it perfect for brunch or an appetizer
Make and share this Salmon and Tomato Tarts recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sockeye salmon (canned)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup lard
- 10 tablespoons cold water
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
- In a medium size bowl combine flours, salt and lard. Using a pastry blender or a butter knife cut the lard into small pieces about the size of a small pea.
- Slowly add the cold water to the mixture and stir with a fork until dough comes together and forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out the dough and cut with a lid and then place the round in a muffin tin and set aside when completed
- In another bowl combine wheat germ, bread crumbs and spices together.
- Add the tin of tomatoes along with the salmon and mix together all ingredients until thoroughly combined
- Put a small amount of salmon tomato mixture into each muffin cup and top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes
- Remove from oven when crust is nicely browned and cheese is melted on top.
- Set aside to cool and then remove to a cooling rack.