Recipe by Simply Chris
Another great fish recipe based on one from the Low Fat Living Cookbook. The original recipe called for wrapping the salmon fillets in phyllo dough, for everyday meals I just use foil. (I always have a package of frozen mixed mushrooms from Trader Joe's on hand, so if I want to make this and don't have fresh mushrooms, the frozen ones work just as well). Sprinkling the spinach with some rice vinegar after baking makes this taste like the sautéed spinach and garlic served at P.F. Chang's.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 2 cups chicken broth (if you have) or 2 cups vegetable broth (if you have) or 2 cups fish stock (if you have)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 lb salmon fillet, skin removed, cut into 4 pieces
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk.
- Slowly stir in the broth.
- Add the mushrooms and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain the sauce and discard the mushrooms.
- Return the sauce to the pan and add the capers.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Keep warm on very low heat until ready to use.
- While the sauce is simmering preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the spinach and cook for 5 minutes, or until just softened, stirring often.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the salmon.
- Spread 1/8 of the spinach mixture onto a sheet of foil that has been coated with non-stick spray (or use non-stick foil).
- Place one piece of salmon on the spinach.
- Top the salmon with another 1/8 of the spinach.
- For each packet bring the opposite edges of the foil together on top of the salmon and fold over several times.
- Twist the short ends to make a tight seal.
- Place the packages on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve with the sauce.