Recipe by MarieRynr
This is an unusal twist on the classic fish pie. I have not made this yet, but plan on making it in the very near future. I'm posting it so I don't lose it.
Top Review by RiverCate
I made this dish tonight and it was delicious! I added 2 tbsp of flour to the cream with dill and lime zest - my lemons were a wee bit under the weather to use for zest. The flour thickened the cream sauce and it wasn't runny at all. I used a mixture of leafy greens - spinach, kale and Swiss chard. The salmon was moist and cooked perfectly! I sprinkled Parmesan cheese and lemon pepper on the grated potatoes and they browned up nice and crispy. This fish has a very subtle flavour, just make sure not to overdo the dill. Next time I make this dish (and there definitely will be a next time), I'll make sure my lemons are zestful. Awesome dish I served with pan seared asparagus!!
- 2 medium waxy potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 225 g Baby Spinach
- 600 g salmon fillets, skinned, boned and halved lengthways (about 4)
- 284 ml double cream
- 1 finely grated lemon, zest of
- of chopped fresh dill or parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Parboil the potatoes for 8 minutes, then drain and set aside to cool. Dry the pan and return to medium heat, adding the oil. Saute the onion for about 7 minutes, stirring, until softened. Add the garlic, cook for 1 minute, then add the spinace and cook, stirring until just wilted down. Tip into a deep 1/3 litre baking dish and spread the mixture across the base.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220*C. Place the salmon strips neatly in 1 layer across the spinach mixture. In a bowl, mix the cream, lemon zest and dill or parsley, seasoning well. Pour all over the salmon and spinach and onion base.
- Remove the peel from the potatoes with your fingers, and coarsely grate the potatoes directly onto the creamy salmon in a craggy layer. Drizzle with a little olive oil, season to taste and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minuttes, or until it's bubbling and the potato is a deep golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with steamed fine green beans.