Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 min
This is an exceptional recipe from Bon Appetit. It gives a stunning presentation and is absolutely delicious. Quite an impressive meal -- I hope you enjoy it!
Salmon and Rice and Pastry
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup minced leek (white and pale green only)
- 6 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and chopped
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed (1 -17 1/4 ounce pkg.)
- 4 (6 ounce) salmon fillets (4 x 2 1/2")
- 1 large egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2⁄3 cup bottled clam juice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄4 cups creme fraiche or 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- For Salmon, Rice and Pastry: Bring medium saucepan of salted water to a boil.
- Add the rice; boil uncovered until just tender-- about 18 minutes.
- Melt butter in a heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add leek and sautè until beginning to soften-- about 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cover the skillet and cook until mushrooms release their juices, stirring occasionally-- about 5 minutes.
- Uncover skillet, increase heat to medium-high and sautè until liquid evaporates-- about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl and add rice.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cool completely.
- Butter a large baking sheet.
- Roll out 1 puff pastry sheet on a floured surface to 12" square size.
- Cut into 4 equal squares.
- Divide rice mixture among centers of squares, mounding in oval shape with ends toward 2 corners of pastry.
- Set salmon on top of rice.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bring pastry corners up around salmon (pastry will not enclose salmon completely).
- Roll out remaining pastry sheet on a floured surface to 13" square size.
- Cut into 4 equal squares.
- Lay 1 square atop each salmon fillet, tucking corners under bottom pastry to enclose salmon completely.
- Pinch edges together to seal (brush with egg mixture if necessary to help it adhere).
- Arrange salmon packages, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet.
- Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- (Can be made up to 8 hours ahead-- Keep chilled).
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Brush top of pastry with egg mixture.
- Bake until golden and thermometer inserted into fish registers 145°-- about 30 minutes.
- For Dill Sauce: Combine clam juice and wine in heavy small non-aluminum saucepan.
- Boil until reduced to 1/3 cup-- about 9 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Whisk in Crème Fraîche.
- Boil until reduced to 1 cup-- about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in dill and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer salmon packages to plates.
- Spoon Dill Sauce around, and serve.
- Note: If crème fraiche is unavailable, heat 1 1/4 cup whipping cream to lukewarm (85°).
- Remove from heat and mix in 2 1/4 tablespoons buttermilk.
- Cover and let stand in warm draft-free area until slightly thickened (24 to 48 hours, depending on the temperature of the room).
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
Lovely! I omitted the rice, though---didn't want that carb in addition to the pastry. Delicious.