Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
With so many salmon recipe requests I thought a few of you might like this one!
- 20 ounces fresh spinach
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 2 lbs salmon fillets
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3⁄4 cup mushroom, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable stock
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 1⁄3 cup long grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and mushrooms, stirring often for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, water, salt and pepper, bringing to a boil.
- Add the wild rice and return pot to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cover.
- Cook for 35 minutes.
- Add the long grain rice and simmer covered for 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Trim spinach and rinse in cold water.
- Add to a medium saucepan and cook over mediun heat for 8 minutes (you wont need extra water as the water from washing will be enough) When JUST cooked drain in a colander and press out all the moisture you can.
- Chop and place in a bowl.
- Toss with lemon juice and nutmeg.
- Cut salmon crosswise into 4 pieces.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lay out 1 sheet of phyllo, brush with butter and lay one more sheet on top of the first.
- Leaving 2 inches from the long side of the pastry, and three inches ont he ends place 1/2 cup of the rice mixture in a rectangle 3 inches wide.
- Place 1/4 of the spinach over the rice.
- Top with 1 piece of salmon.
- Fold the long side over top the salmon and then fold in the edges.
- Carefully taking the long side"roll/fold' the pasckage over and over until a nice package is formed.
- Place on a greased baking sheet, seam side down and brust with butter.
- Repeat until you have 4 prepared packages.
- Place on the center rack in your preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or until nice and golden brown.
- While the fish packages are baking~~.
- In a medium saucepan boil the vinegar, wine, onions, salt and pepper for 5 minutes.
- You want it reduced to about 2 T's.
- Whisk in butter, a cube at a time.
- Whisk in half and half and whisk until smooth and thickened.
- Serve with Salmon Packages.
This was the first recipe that I made with Phyllo dough. It was a task to get the salmon wrapped up and I may have destroyed the rest of the dough, but the dough was great cooked. It was very flaky and a nice brown color. The rest of the dish was very good the taste of the spinach and the fish went well together.