Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 2 cups canned beef broth
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 6 shallots, minced
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 5 cups canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 30 ounces skinless boneless salmon fillets
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add wine, beef broth, thyme and 1 bay leaf; boil until liquid is reduced to 1 cup, about 35 minutes. Strain sauce into small saucepan.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Place orzo on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in another heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 4 minutes. Add mushrooms; sauté until golden, about 10 minutes. Add orzo, chicken broth and 1 bay leaf; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook uncovered until orzo is tender and broth is absorbed, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Add cream and tarragon; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Add to skillet and sauté just until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Bring sauce to simmer. Add butter; whisk just until melted. Season with pepper. Spoon orzo onto plates. Top with salmon. Serve with sauce.