Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Wow! I made these for dinner last night and they were incredible! Simple, delicious, fast and healthy. The recipe comes from Real Simple magazine (June/July 2004), and I made it as written except that after pulverizing the bread (I used whole wheat since we don't "do" white bread in my house), I just added all the other ingredients to the food processor, too. This made it extremely simple. I am sure the fish was ground up more than the recipe intended, but we liked it that way. I cooked this in an indoor George Foreman-type grill, and they took about 6-7 minutes. The magazine suggests serving this on a bun and topping the patty with traditional cole slaw and dressing, but we had them as-is with some seafood sauce (and some steamed asparagus, a salad, and a Frozen Malibu Sunshine drink -- which I also just posted the recipe for). It would work equally well with any of your favorite condiments, and I think it would be awesome over some greens with a citrus vinaigrette or ranch dressing! I plan to make these a lot!!!
- 907.18 g fresh salmon, skin removed
- 2 egg whites
- 14.79 ml Dijon mustard
- 118.29 ml fresh breadcrumb (1 slice of white bread, ground in a food processor)
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 29.58 ml fresh dill, chopped
- olive oil (optional)
- Mince the salmon and place half of it in a large Ziplock bag.
- Use a rolling pin to mash it.
- Place this and the unmashed salmon in a large bowl and combine it with the egg whites, mustard, dill, salt, and bread crumbs.
- Form four 3/4" patties.
- Place on a medium-hot grill and cook for 4-5 minutes per side (or cook on a stovetop by heating 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a large pan over medium heat; cook patties for 5 minutes per side).
Another addition to the permanent menu. I did do a couple of things different. I used whole grain bread, used 2 14.5oz cans of salmon (drained), and mixed all in the food processor. I also used the George Foreman, and cooked on the middle setting for 6 minutes. This made 12 patties of about 4" size. Thanks for the keeper.
These were very outrageous and gourmet in taste!!We had some leftover salmon which I had cooked the previous night and so I thought I'd try this. It made a wonderful different dish for us. Followed the recipe exactly and wouldn't change a thing. Thanx for winner!