Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Cottage Living magazine. I used smoked salmon when I made this chowder.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (1 lb)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen, thawed if frozen)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 4 salmon fillets, skinned and cut into 2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 lb)
- fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and potato and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. (I added the onion first and sauteed it till it was softened.).
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Add broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer covered, for 5 minutes or just until potato is tender.
- Stir in corn and next 4 ingredients; return to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add salmon and simmer 4 minutes or just until fish flakes.
- Add lemon juice and fresh herbs; season with additional sea salt and pepper if desired.