Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I had a little salmon and cod to use up, not enough to make a meal out of either, so I came up with this recipe the other night, to use them both together. We really enjoyed them served over salads and I made a tangy mayonnaise relish to go over the top of the cakes which went well with them. The amounts listed below for the fish are just what I had in my fridge and I am sure could be adjusted slightly.
- 330 g salmon, cooked and flaked
- 370 g cod, cooked and flaked
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 medium eggs or 2 large eggs
- panko breadcrumbs, flakes (I have not listed amount as I was not measuring I am guessing about 1/2-3/4 cup in total)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons creamy mustard
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Mayonnaise Relish.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Fish Cakes.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients down to the panko flakes, add a few tablespoons of panko flakes to the mix to bind ingredients together.
- Shape into patties, you will get about 6 large or 8 medium patties from this.
- Pour more panko flakes onto a plate, coat the outside of each pattie with panko flakes.
- Heat a little oil in a pan, add patties and cook both sides, until browned and crisp on the outside.
- Serve on buns or over salad as I did and top with relish.
We liked this a lot! Much more interesting that the usual fish cake. The chopped vegetables add crunch, nutrition - and color!