Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
What a great play of flavors - fresh salmon, fresh lime, smoked salmon, avocado and a bit of onion and tomato for back up all come together for a wonderfully messy, lush sandwich. Sandwiches and bruschette are a great way to serve salmon left over from the night before. Excerpted from Simply Salmon by James Peterson.
- 8 slices crusty French bread (or bruschette)
- butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 4 salmon fillets, 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick (broiled, sauteed, or grilled)
- 4 slices cold-smoked salmon (optional)
- 8 slices red onions
- 8 slices ripe tomatoes
- 4 pieces lettuce, preferably a crunchy variety such as romaine
- 1 ripe avocado, preferably Hass, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1⁄2 lime
- Toast the slices of bread. Butter 4 of the slices or brush them with olive oil on one side. If you didn't season the salmon when you cooked it, sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Stack the salmon, smoked salmon (if using), onion, tomato, and lettuce on the 4 slices of buttered toast. Spread the avocado slices evenly over the other ingredients, squeeze a little lime juice over it, and season with salt and pepper. Cover with the remaining bread slices.
Loved this! I did a few things different: First, I marinated the fish in limeaide, garlic, oregano and parsley for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, I sliced the avocado (I used 2) and squeezed the lime over it to keep it from getting brown. This also flavored it so I didn't need to use the lime at the end. For the bread, I decided that french bread is too difficult to eat and too bready. I got thick sliced white bread (Texas toast style) that's advertised as being for BBQ and toasted it. I buttered one slice with garlic butter. The other slice I topped with the avocado and then the salmon. I skipped the tomato and the onion (too lazy to slice the onion and not enough tomatoes to go around). I served with torillia chips and salsa (perfect combination) and we all found that the salsa was yummy on the sandwiches too (and gave us the option of adding some spice to it, although I like to use mild). I think I'll add it to them next time between the salmon and the avocado. There WILL be a next time! We all had a sandwich and a half, even the picky 7 year old.