Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 mins
This is a Better Homes and Gardens recipe that DH really enjoyed.
- 12 fresh asparagus, trimmed (you will need thin asparagus)
- 1⁄2 cup PHILADELPHIA Chive & Onion Cream Cheese Spread
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 ounces smoked salmon, coarsely flaked and skin and bones removed
- 4 (7 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1⁄2 sweet red pepper, cut into thin bite-size stips
- In a covered 10 inch skillet cook asparagus in a small amount of boiling lightly salted water for 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and plunge into ice water. Drain again: pat dry with paper towels.
- In a bowl combine cream cheese, lemon peel, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper. Fold in salmon. Spread on tortillas. Arrange one-fourth of the spinach over salmon mixture on each tortilla. Then to one end of each tortilla arrange 3 asparagus spears, and one-fourth of the pepper stips on top of the salmon mixture and spinach leaves.
- Roll tortillas startin from the edge with the filling. Wrap in plastic wrap. Serve immediately or chill for up to 4 hours.
Doesn't anyone know you have to cook the tortillas, either on a tortilla grill, or on an iron skillet? The tortillas are NOT cooked all the way they are only cooked enough to keep them from spoiling. Try putting the tortilla on a iron griddle or iron skillet, NO grease, when they start to brown turn over coon the other side put on paper towel over tin foil and fold over while cooking the others.
Hubby and I both thought that these wraps were good...but not something we would enjoy again...the salmon was Alaskan Smoked and delicious...we enjoyed it mixed with the cream cheese mixture...but didn't really seem to mix well with the other ingredients...we didn't taste the lemon at all...the asparagus and red pepper were the dominate flavors in the wrap...I didn't have spinach so use green leaf lettuce...pretty sure that didn't effect the overall dish...it sure did make a nice presentation...:)
I'm in love with the more then simple, but so fresh lunch snack! I used these as appetizers, but cutting them into thirds. I also added a bit of salmon along with the asparagus, and peppers. Totally loved this, and thanks for posting such a lovely treat! Made for Down on the Farm Photo Event 2012