Recipe by luckycloud29
Sally was an old Irish neighbor who promised me that this recipe was so easy that even "non-Irish" people like me could make it. She was right! Now I can also celebrate St. Pat's Day with some yummy soda bread!
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2-1 cup raisins (soak in hot water and squeeze)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (room temperature)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar.
- Cut in butter until consistency of cornmeal.
- Add raisins to mix.
- Add vinegar to milk to make sour milk.
- Mix egg into sour milk.
- Pour milk mixture into flour mixture just until flour is wet.
- Do not overmix!
- Grease a cast iron skillet or loaf pan with Pam or butter.
- Pour mixture into pan.
- Take a knife and slash an X down the middle of batter.
- Bake at 350-375 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.