Recipe by startnover
If you like Sally Lunn bread these are perfect for you. They are cake like, just like the bread and very simple to make but the dough is to sticky to handle so just spoon them into muffin cups or into a pan if the shape doesn't worry you. Great plain but adding the herbs will make them something special.
- 5 teaspoons yeast
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup warm milk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh thyme or 1⁄2 cup fresh rosemary (optional) or 1⁄2 cup favorite herbs (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl combine the yeast , sugar, and milk. Let standtill frothy (about 10 minutes).
- In your mixer beat eggs and salt together till fluffy and pale yellow, about 5 minutes.
- Add the yeast mixture and beat till smooth.
- Add flour to the egg mixturein three additions with the butter, starting and ending with the flour. Add herbs if desired.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place about 2 hours.
- Punch down dough with a wooden spoon.I use a large muffin scoop, and place in 18 lightly greased muffincups.
- Spray a piece of plastic wrap with pan and place sprayed side down over rolls.
- Allow to raise 45 minutes or until doubled.
- Uncover the rolls and lightly brush tops with egg/milk mixture.
- Bake aprox 25 minutes or till a toothpick in the center comes out clean -- do not over cook or the rolls will be dry.