Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
From my mother in law. This is heavenly.
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 1 fresh yeast cake
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 6 cups flour
- Scald milk (heat, but do not bring to a boil).
- Remove milk from burner, add sugar, salt, shortening.
- Stir to dissolve, cool to lukewarm.
- Add yeast and beaten eggs.
- Add flour and beat until smooth.
- Cover and let rise until doubled (about 1 hr).
- Stir down and turnbatter into 2 loaf pans or 1 bundt pan, which has been greased.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk (about 1 hr).
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
- Cool slightly, serve warm with butter.
- Separate with two forks instead of cutting with knife.