Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I clipped this recipe years ago from an article on Williamsburg, VA. While not the traditional Sally Lunn bread, this is an easy and delicious variation. It also adapts easily to using sugar substitutes or blends. I have made it both ways. It is lightly sweet and serves up great as a breakfast treat or light dessert or adjunct to dinner.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Mix eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- To the butter and sugar add egg liquid a little at a time, alternating with the flour mixture.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Turn into greased pan and bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes.
- Cut into squares and butter while hot.