Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a nice variation of Salisbury Steaks without the common addition of creamed soup. From the American Heart Association cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 3⁄4 teaspoon McCormick's salt-free all-purpose seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 3⁄4 ounce dried mushroom
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth, low-sodium
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, snipped
- In a bowl, combine beef, flour, Worcestershire sauce, onion, and spices; blend gently thoroughly mixing all ingredients.
- Add milk and mix again.
- Shape into 8 patties, cover and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, place mushrooms in a small bowl.
- Cover with hot water and soak 20 to 30 minutes; chop and set aside.
- Strain water through a paper towel into a clean bowl (this will remove any dirt).
- Save the liquid.
- Add enough beef broth to saved liquid to make 1 cup.
- Add red wine and stir well.
- Place a heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add patties and brown them thoroughly on each side.
- Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off any liquid in skillet and return skillet to heat.
- Add chopped mushrooms, liquids, and carrots to skillet.
- Bring liquid to a boil and reduce it by a third.
- Add beef patties, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle patties with parsley and serve hot.
- Serve with baked potatoes and fresh green salad, if desired.
My Mom has CHF and she loves this recipe. Thank you for adding it.