Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I make this often for my family - it is one of our favorite meals. I got the recipe from Betty Crocker. It is great served with mashed potatoes and corn.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained. (I usually use fresh sliced mushrooms, about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Mix ground beef, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and egg; shape into 4 oval patties, each about 3/4-inch thick.
- Cook patties in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add onion, broth and mushrooms. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beef is done, about 10 minutes. (I usually start boiling the water for homemade mashed potatoes at this time and the steaks will be ready by the time you get the mashed potatoes ready).
- When patties are done, remove them from skillet. Keep warm.
- Heat onion mixture to boiling. Mix water and cornstarch; stir into onion mixture. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Serve over patties and mashed potatoes.
Well, jeez Louise, if this ain't good...and just coincidentally, I've been reserving my caloric intake for some good old fashioned Salisbury steak. Made for Everyday Is A Holiday.
Excellent, quick to put together & so flavorful. I sautéed the onions until caramelized first & then made the rest of the recipe, I think it imparted more onion flavor into the gravy. Served with recipe # 330590 (using cheddar cheese). I would love to make this again with some fresh sliced mushrooms, otherwise, wouldn't change a thing. Thanks for sharing!
My first time doing this and this was yummy. I used no sodium beef stock (not condensed) and I used fresh mushrooms. I added the onions and mushrooms when the first 10 minutes of cooking was done. Thanks Lainey :) Made for Market tag.