Recipe by Lainey6605
I make this often for my family - it is one of our favorite meals. I got the recipe from Betty Crocker. It is great served with mashed potatoes and corn.
Top Review by gailanng
Well, jeez Louise, if this ain't good...and just coincidentally, I've been reserving my caloric intake for some good old fashioned Salisbury steak. Made for Everyday Is A Holiday.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained. (I usually use fresh sliced mushrooms, about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix ground beef, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and egg; shape into 4 oval patties, each about 3/4-inch thick.
- Cook patties in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add onion, broth and mushrooms. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until beef is done, about 10 minutes. (I usually start boiling the water for homemade mashed potatoes at this time and the steaks will be ready by the time you get the mashed potatoes ready).
- When patties are done, remove them from skillet. Keep warm.
- Heat onion mixture to boiling. Mix water and cornstarch; stir into onion mixture. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Serve over patties and mashed potatoes.