Recipe by jeniwan
I know what you're thinking... "What's so special about having mushrooms with salisbury steak?". Well my friend, let me tell you why the mushrooms are so great in this recipe. They aren't just piled on top of the steaks, they're IN the steaks! Chopped mushrooms mixed into the steaks keeps them incredibly tender and delicious. This recipe makes a LOT of salisbury steak, 12 servings. Luckily, these babies freeze wonderfully. Enjoy!!!
- 6 ounces minced onions
- 1 ounce minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 4 eggs
- 8 ounces breadcrumbs
- 4 ounces chopped flat leaf parsley
- 12 ounces chopped button mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 ounces flour
- 24 ounces veal stock or 24 ounces beef stock
- 1 lb sliced button mushroom
- 2 red onions, sliced 1/2-inch thick, grilled
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions, chopped mushrooms, and garlic in 2 tablespoons butter until translucent and set aside to cool.
- Mix beef with cooled onion mixture, eggs, bread crumbs, parsley, and chopped mushrooms. Form into 4-ounce patties and saute in the 2 tablespoons of butter until golden brown on both sides and set aside.
- In saucepan melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add flour and cook over low heat for 1 minute. Begin to add stock 1/3 at a time whisking and bringing to simmer each time making sure there are no lumps. Add mushrooms and simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Place patties in a roasting pan and pour gravy over patties and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Garnish with grilled onions and serve.