Recipe by SouthernBell2627
This recipe is from my "Irish Cooking" cookbook.
Top Review by KMLWPA
This is really, really good. A family favorite. I found the recipe in a hamburger cookbook years ago and have been using it ever since. Glad to find it posted here. When my ds comes to visit he always asks that I make this. I use dry vermouth and a 4 oz can of mushroom pieces instead of fresh mushrooms. Sometimes I'll use a jar of mushroom gravy instead of the beef. If I'm making it for dh and ds both, I'll increase the meat to 1 1/2-2 lbs and use 1 jar each of mushroom gravy and beef gravy so that there's enough left over for dh's lunch the next day. I always have mashed potatoes with this. The sauce is wonderful over the potatoes.
- 1 lb lean ground sirloin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt or 3⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons sweet vermouth, wine or 2 tablespoons ruby port
- 1 (12 ounce) jar beef gravy
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until hot. Combine ground sirloin, garlic salt, and pepper; mix well. Shape mixture into four 1/4-inch-thick patties.
- Place patties in skillet as they are formed; cook 3 minutes per side or until browned. Transfer to plate. Pour off drippings.
- Melt butter in skillet; add mushrooms. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Add wine; cook 1 minute. Add gravy; mix well.
- Return patties to skillet; simmer uncovered over medium heat 2 minutes for medium or until desired doneness. turning meat and stirring sauce.