Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this recipe from the Texas Beef Council website years ago and have used it ever since. Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans to make a classic "comfort food" meal.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup saltine crumbs
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) jar beef gravy
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- In medium bowl, combine ground beef, onion, cracker crumbs, egg white, milk, horseradish, salt and pepper. Mix lightly but thoroughly, shape into 4 oval 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place beef patties in skillet. Cook 7-8 minutes, turning once or until centers are no longer pink and juices run clear. Center of patty should register 160 on an instant read thermometer. Remove from skillet and keep warm.
- In same skillet, combine gravy, mushrooms, and water. Cook over medium heat 3-5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Serve gravy over Salisbury Steak and mashed potatoes if desired.
I was looking for this recipe because I also found it from the Texas Beef Council years ago. I'm digitizing my recipes, but the recipe is no longer on their site. Thanks for putting it up!<br/><br/>This is a really great, basic salisbury steak recipe. I use canned mushroom gravy instead of the beef gravy, but otherwise is perfect the way it is.