Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I combined the Salisbury steak from one recipe and the gravy from another and made this hearty, filling, easy meal. Mashed potatoes make a great accompaniment, I suggest making extra gravy for the potatoes.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup cracker crumb
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced, into, rings
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot sauce
- Combine ground beef, chopped onions, cracker crumbs, egg, horseradish, salt and pepper. Shape into patties.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in skillet.
- Cook patties till no longer pink inside - approx 8 minutes each side.
- In separate pan, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Sauté onion rings and mushrooms til tender.
- Remove patties from pan.
- Stir flour into pan, scraping bottom of pan. Add dash of salt and pepper. Cook 2 minutes. Stir in cream to form a thick paste.
- Slowly stir in chicken broth - stir till thick.
- Add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Stir till mixed well.
- Simmer 5 minutes Add mushrooms, onions and patties.
- Heat 10 minutes.
Absolutely delicious! Followed recipe exactly, but substituted a can of sliced mushrooms I had on hand. Hubby scarfed it down, saying it was the most delicious salisbury steak he had ever eaten. Will definitely be making this dish again! I made the patty mixture 3 hours ahead of time, made into the patties and let sit in fridge to let the flavors blend. This dish is excellent for the meat and potatoes kind of guy. :)
Virginia, this is delicious! I made it for 4 and then put the 2 extra servings in the frige for another time. So easy to make! I love the hint of the mustard. The gravy was very good. We had this with mashed potatoes and whole kernel corn. Big slices of french bread. Yummy!! And I have it in the frige to look forward to again! Thanks for a great recipe!
The tecture of the meat was great as was the gravy. Next time I will make more gravy. I tested this on my mother as I wanted to make it for the office on my day to provide lunch. Very good!