Recipe by Christmas Carol
I found this recipe in a cookbook called "Great Food From Mom's Diner". I was never one to jump for joy at Salisbury Steak, but the ingredients in this recipe intrigued me. If beef, blue cheese, and a rich mushroom gravy sound scrumptious to you, then this dish may become a favorite at your house too!!
Top Review by Sandi (From CA)
Whooooa, horsie! This stopped us dead in our tracks with shocking glee! I mean, we both love bleu cheese, but the combination of it and the remaining ingredients sent this puppy WAY over the top of heaven. I used ground tri tip, forming 2 patties for each burger and layering the bleu cheese in between them, sealing the edges. There was a great deal of fat (butter/oil) in the sauce at the end, so I suctioned off most of that. I'm thinking the ground beef had more fat than I realized, but it was "FoodSavered" and frozen it, so I didn't have access to the fat content sticker. I'll be more mindful of that next time because this was awesome and we want it again! Sauce was great with mashed potatoes, too. Thank you, Christmas Carol!
- 907.18 g ground sirloin
- 44.37 ml finely chopped onions
- 29.58 ml tomato paste
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 113.39 g blue cheese, quartered
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 44.37 ml butter or 44.37 ml margarine
- flour (for dredging)
- 236.59 ml beef broth
- 226.79 g mushroom, cleaned and trimmed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine sirloin, onion, tomato paste, salt, and pepper.
- Form mixture into 4 oval patties.
- Stuff a piece of blue cheese into center of each patty, sealing well.
- Over medium heat, melt the olive oil and butter in a large, heavy skillet.
- Dredge patties in flour, and brown on both sides.
- Pour beef broth over patties and cover.
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Transfer patties from skillet to serving platter and keep warm.
- Put mushrooms in food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- Process until finely ground.
- Add mushrooms to skillet and simmer for 10 minutes, or until mixture is thickened.
- Serve gravy over cooked patties.