1/5 Photos of Salisbury Steak Surprise With Ground Mushroom Gravy
Christmas Carol's Note:
I found this recipe in a cookbook called "Great Food From Mom's Diner". I was never one to jump for joy at Salisbury Steak, but the ingredients in this recipe intrigued me. If beef, blue cheese, and a rich mushroom gravy sound scrumptious to you, then this dish may become a favorite at your house too!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ounces blue cheese, quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- flour (for dredging)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 lb mushroom, cleaned and trimmed
- 1In a large bowl, combine sirloin, onion, tomato paste, salt, and pepper.
- 2Form mixture into 4 oval patties.
- 3Stuff a piece of blue cheese into center of each patty, sealing well.
- 4Over medium heat, melt the olive oil and butter in a large, heavy skillet.
- 5Dredge patties in flour, and brown on both sides.
- 6Pour beef broth over patties and cover.
- 7Cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
- 8Transfer patties from skillet to serving platter and keep warm.
- 9Put mushrooms in food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- 10Process until finely ground.
- 11Add mushrooms to skillet and simmer for 10 minutes, or until mixture is thickened.
- 12Serve gravy over cooked patties.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salisbury Steak Surprise With Ground Mushroom Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 754.5
- Calories from Fat 522
- Total Fat 58.0 g
- Saturated Fat 25.3 g
- Cholesterol 196.3 mg
- Sodium 1368.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 52.2 g