Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The only frozen dinner I have ever cared to eat was the Banquet Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and corn. I hate the potatoes (instant is just yuck), but do enjoy the rest of the meal so I decided to try to make my own. This is the results of my efforts and I must say, the taste is very close, but even better. This is cheap, easy and freezes very well. If you are going to freeze these then don't freeze them in the gravy. They are much better if the gravy is fresh. Be sure to cut the gravy ingredients if you are not using all the steaks. These can be frozen raw or already cooked.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs.
- Stir in soup/dip mix, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce.
- Add beef; mix gently with wet hands.
- Press into thin oval shaped patties.
- Fry in a large skillet over medium heat until done, turning occasionally.
- Remove steaks and set aside.
- If gravy is desired then add 4 tablespoons of flour to the drippings in the pan; stirring until all the drippings are soaked into the flour.
- Add 4 cups of beef broth all at once; stirring constantly until thickened into gravy; season to taste.
- Add meat back to the pan of gravy; simmer until hot.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or cooked egg noodles.
I followed the recipe almost exactly, the variation being that I didn't fry the burgers until they were done, just until the outide was brown. I set them aside, made the gravy and added the meat back in before reducing, putting a lid on to slow the process, and I cooked it on medium until the gravy was thicker and the meat done. Then I removed the meat and further thickend and seasoned the gravy, and it turned out moist, tasty and wonderful with mashed potatoes! Thanks!
This looks like a great recipe! I am going to add onions and mushrooms to the recipe, otherwise will cook as recommended. I did not rate b/c I have yet to make this meal but I will add to this comment once I have done so. Thank you for a delicious meal recipe!
This is awesome! Since there is just two of us in the house and I was out of dry bread crumbs, I used 1 lb ground beef, 1 egg, 1 hamburger bun : -) that I crumbled into crumbs. For the soup, I had one package of onion-mushroom soup mix and I scaled down the remaining seasonings. I used 1/2-3/4 of the soup mix in the hamburger along with the other ingredients, shaped the mixture into patties and cooked as directed. <br/><br/>For the gravy, the pan didn't have many drippings so I added about 1 T of oil and then 2T of flour, cooking till slightly browned. Then I added 2 c water, 1 beef bullion cube and the remainder of the soup mix. Cook over low heat till thickened. I added the patties back in the last few minutes and served with mashed potatoes. Delicious!!