Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Old-fashioned comfort food.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 cups red potatoes, unpeeled, cubed (1/2-inch)
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, petite, undrained
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine the beef, egg, chili sauce, onion, bread crumbs and salt; mix well. Shape mixture into 4 patties, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 3 minutes per side; drain if necessary. Add potatoes.
- In a medium bowl, mix the water and flour until creamy. Stir in the tomatoes, soup, and Worcestershire sauce; mix well. Pour mixture over patties and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until patties are thoroughly cooked and potatoes are fork-tender, turning patties and stirring once during cooking time.
1/12/08 After reading the recipe and reading the review. I was sure that Smooch the Cook MUST have done something wrong as the items in the recipe could not have made a disappointing meal. I was right, this was a lovely comforting dinner tasty, warming, filling and plenty of a thick rich sauce. My 4 year olds ate every mouthful. Word of advice pay attention to the need for a non stick skillet. I did not use one.. but wished I had.
My folks and I stood over top of the finished product and wondered what in the world we were going to do with that...sorry, just didn't do it for us. I usually get good results with the cream of soups, but this time, it was more liquid than anything. Don't know if something I did made it that way or not.