Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a unbelievable recipe with a rich dark brown gravy, lots of mushrooms and super tender steaks.
- 453.59 g ground chuck
- 283.49 g can cream of mushroom soup
- 59.14 ml breadcrumbs (or a little more if needed)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped
- 4.92 ml steak seasoning, of choice
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml butter, divided
- splash cognac (optional) or whiskey (optional)
- 226.79 g mushrooms, fresh sliced
- 709.77 ml water
- 9.85 ml beef base
- 0 brown gravy mix (i use mccormick)
- sautee onions in a large and deep skillet in a small amount of olive oil just until tender.
- in bowl add beef, bread crumbs, egg and 1/4 of cream of mushroom soup and onion. mix well and form into 6 patties.
- into the skillet melt 1 Tbsp butter add 1 Tbsp olive oil. brown patties in skillet on both sides. over medium high heat. remove from skillet to a plate.
- drain grease out of skillet, add 1 tbsp butter and splash of the cognac or whiskey (if you opt out of the alcohol just use a splash of the water).
- add mushrooms to skillet and cook 7-8 minutes.
- while mushrooms are cooking mix the beef base and gravy mix with the water with a whisk.
- add the liquid to the skillet and the rest of the mushroom soup and whisk until combined. return the beef to the skillet. cover and simmer 25 minutes basting occasionally and turning once.
- serve with cooked rice.