1/2 Photos of Salisbury Steak and Mushroom Gravy
I don’t know what it is about Salisbury Steak that I like so much. When I was pregnant with my oldest I craved it like it was the last best food on earth. I think it’s that “Anything smothered in gravy can’t be bad” mentality. It sure not a bad way to go in my book! But I am not a big fan of pre-packaged, pre-made foods so I had to come up with a recipe all my own. I used crushed Ritz crackers for my crumbs (they add an interesting flavor) but you can use whatever is on hand. I served it with Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes and Glazed Carrots. If you aren’t a fan of red wine or just don’t have any on hand you can substitute with more beef broth if you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 slices bacon, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease, reserved
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1 1/2 cups bread, crumbs or 1 1/2 cups crushed crackers
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 150 degrees. In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until very crisp and it has rendered its fat. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Transfer the bacon grease into a heat same bowl or cup and set aside.
- 2Add a tablespoon of the reserved bacon drippings back to the skillet. Add the onion and cook until softened and translucent. Toss in the garlic and cook for 15 seconds. Removed the onions and garlic to a large bowl to cool.
- 3Once the onion has cooled add in the crispy bacon and the remaining ingredients for the steaks. Mix until combined. Form into 8 equal patties, formed into an oval shape, and place on a cookie sheet.
- 4Place cookie sheet into the oven and cook 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and cover with foil. Allow to set until ready to serve, or at least 10 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile start the gravy, return the large skillet to the burner. Add 2 tablespoons of the reserve bacon grease to the skillet. Add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are browned and the onions have softened. Add the garlic and flour and stir until the vegetables are coated in flour.
- 6Add the wine and stir to combine well, reduce the heat and simmer 2-3 minutes. Whisk in the beef broth slowly. Continue to simmer until it is the desired consistency. Note: Gravy will be thick. If you like thinner gravy use less flour. Serve over the steaks.
Browse Our Top Meatballs Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meatballs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salisbury Steak and Mushroom Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 717.7
- Calories from Fat 380
- Total Fat 42.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 195.3 mg
- Sodium 1396.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 40.2 g